Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Report Birth Abroad

If your child is born in Comoros, Mayotte or Madagascar, you will need to apply for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad at the U.S. Embassy in Antananarivo

This application must be made in person, and both parents and the child must be present. Please contact the consular section or 261-20-23-480-00 for more information and to obtain the forms.

Please note that if your child was born outside the United States and outside Comoros, Mayotte or Madagascar, you will need to apply with the U.S. Embassy or Consulate with jurisdiction over the child’s place of birth to obtain the Consular Report of Birth Abroad.

The Consular Report of Birth Abroad is issued to parents following positive adjudication of their child's claim to United States citizenship. The child's claim must be adjudicated before a US passport can be issued. A consular officer may issue a Consular Report of Birth Abroad for any child who is eligible for it upon application made at any time before the child's 18th birthday


  • Application DS-2029 and affidavit of physical presence
  • Original or certified copy of local (Madagascar, Comoros, French) birth certificate (a provisional copy cannot be accepted).This will not be returned.
  • Two U.S. passport-sized (2”x2”) photographs of the child.
  • Proof of U.S. parent(s)’ citizenship: Each U.S. citizen parent must present at least one of the following documents for each U.S. Citizen parent: (1) U.S. passport (valid or expired), (2) original U.S. birth certificate or (3) original Certificate of Naturalization.
  • Proof of both parents' identity: Each parent must present at least one of the following documents: passport, driver's license with photo, national ID card with photo, U.S. visa with photo, etc.
  • Parent’s original marriage certificate: If parents were not married prior to conception AND the father is a U.S. Citizen, you must bring original documents (we do not need a copy) of proof of the parent’s relationship (e.g., personal letters and cards, dated photographs, telephone bills, rent receipts, etc.).
  • If only one of the parents is a U.S. citizen, proof of the parent's physical presence in the United States. Generally, the parent must prove at least five years physical presence in the U.S., at least two of which are after the age of 14. Presence must be proven with concrete evidence (e.g., school transcripts, income tax returns with Form W-2, Social Security earnings statement, pay receipts, passport entry/exit stamps, etc.).
  • If either parent was married before, divorce or death certificate from all prior marriages.
  • Affidavit of Parentage and Physical Presence:Required if only one parent is U.S. Citizen or child was conceived out-of-wedlock. Not required if both parents are American Citizens who were born in the US.

The following documents are strongly recommended but not required (we only need originals, no copies):

  • Pre-natal documents of the mother (e.g., ultrasounds, prescriptions, doctor’s records, etc.)
  • Documents from the hospital where the child was born (e.g., identification bracelet, hospital certificate of birth, hospital bill, vaccination card, etc.)
  • Proof of U.S. parent's presence in the local country around the time of conception (e.g. visa, hotel or rent receipts, bank statements, boarding passes, etc.) 


  • Please type or print neatly in blue or black ink on all forms you submit.
  • Please do not sign on any documents, as you need to sign before the consular officer.
  • Please bring ORIGINAL and PHOTOCOPIES of all documents. We will keep the photocopies and return the originals on the same day.
  • You must provide an English translation of any document not in English.
  • All documents presented must be originals or certified copies from the office of vital records. Copies made by you or anyone else outside the office of vital records is not certified copies even if they are notarized. Certified copies normally have either a raised or printed seal from the issuing office.
  • The current CRBA fee is $100 (subject to change)
  • Once the CRBA is approved, the child will be eligible for a US passport

Please call or e-mail to make an appointment once you have all the documents in order

The fee is payable in Ariary or US Dollars (cash and credit card are accepted).

The Consular Section is open for non-emergency ACS services weekday mornings from 8am – 11:30am. Services in the afternoons are by appointment only. Please contact us via e-mail to make an appointment.